Abolishing American police might be our only hope to reform police brutality, violence, and skyrocketing incarceration rate.
“…..The police spend very little of their time dealing with violent criminals — indeed, police sociologists report that only about 10% of the average police officer’s time is devoted to criminal matters of any kind. Most of the remaining 90% is spent dealing with infractions of various administrative codes and regulations: all those rules about how and where one can eat, drink, smoke, sell, sit, walk, and drive. If two people punch each other, or even draw a knife on each other, police are unlikely to get involved. Drive down the street in a car without license plates, on the other hand, and the authorities will show up instantly, threatening all sorts of dire consequences if you don’t do exactly what they tell you.
“The police, then, are essentially just bureaucrats with weapons. Their main role in society is to bring the threat of physical force — even, death — into situations where it never would have been otherwise invoked, such as the enforcement of civic ordinances about the sale of untaxed cigarettes.”
This overcriminalization of, well, living, has exploded prison populations and adversarial policing to a profoundly negative effect……” Read More
I have been pushing this idea for years. The police are blasphemers ( as policing is based upon moral relativism) & usurpers at best.
They are a fairly new institution on the scene, and only about 100 years old.
What did we do to protect ourselves, before we had someone lording over us on each street corner? We had the country sheriff, and you and I: The militia.
And it worked for over 300 years on this continent before the very bad idea of “cops” appeared. Bring back the “Constitutional Militia”! here & here
This assault on myself in Seymour Missouri further illustrates how useless and detrimental to our rights our “police” are. I could easily relate a dozen more horrific personal cop stories.
I have just finished reading and listening to the following 2, well researched books. The occulted history of policing in them is fascinating.